When migraines start, everything else stops. Patients can’t go to work, school, or other activities. It isn’t just a headache. Migraines can be debilitating. They can cause nausea, disorientation, and crippling pain that gets worse with light and sound. Even the smallest thing can make migraines worse once they start. Depending on the patient, there are known triggers that increase their frequency. Some patients wait til it happens. Then they use powerful prescriptions to treat the pain. One of the biggest problems with this is their lives are still disrupted. They still can’t participate in regular activities because of the effects of the drug.
Some patients take prescriptions designed to prevent migraines. They aren’t always effective, and they require careful use. For patients with chronic migraines, the path to find an effective treatment can be challenging. It can also lead to significant complications with patients filing for FMLA at work while struggling to find the right solution. No treatment works for every patient. Because of the side effects and other problems, many patients are coming to chiropractors in Pelham NY.
Natural Ways to Treat and Prevent Migraines
Whether you experience migraines once a month or a few times a week, the response is often the same. People only think about their migraines when they’re experiencing it. The sooner you respond, the more effective treatments can be. However frequent your migraines are, treatment is most effective in the early stages. What can you do?
- Drink Grape Juice: We see kids sipping grape juice all the time. Many adults don’t. When a migraine strikes, a little grape juice can be the perfect option. Grapes are an excellent natural pain reliever.
- Eat Nuts: Eating more nuts is often a small change to patients’ eating patterns. It can make a big difference if you’re suffering from regular migraines. Nuts serve as a natural pain reliever, and they can prevent future migraines. Nuts are carriers of salicin which naturally blocks pain.
- Use a Little Pressure: It can feel like your head is ready to explode when you have a migraine. Hitting the right pressure points can alleviate different types of pain including migraines. When you feel a migraine coming on, press on the craniosacral system. This can help your brain relax and rest to reduce pain.
- Ginger Root to the Rescue: You won’t see ginger just laying around in most homes. If you suffer from regular migraines, you might want to pick up ginger root in its natural form. Chewing on a little ginger can produce significant pain relief.
- Eat More Turkey: We talk about the way turkey can make you tired on Thanksgiving. Patients also find it can relieve migraine pain. The tryptophan that causes fatigue can also trigger the release of serotonin in the body. It relaxes the body and relieves some pain.
- Get a Massage: You might not want to pay for a massage on a regular basis. If you have a migraine, it’s a well-recognized way to alleviate the pain and stress.
- Change the Temperature: Hot or cold therapy is an increasingly common way to reduce different types of pain. In just a few minutes, many people can find pain relief.
- Go Herbal: Have you considered having an herb garden. You can have one inside or outside. Sunlight isn’t the best thing when you have a migraine. Ginger, peppermint, and other herbs are natural pain relievers. You can grow many of these things yourself.
Feel Better and Get Rid of Migraines without a Prescription
Chiropractors in Pelham NY work with patients who have regular migraines every day. We can offer adjustments designed to reduce different types of pain and improve overall wellbeing. Migraine sufferers try different treatments all the time. Some go in for regular massages or chiropractic adjustments. Others use strategic piercings to target the nerves associated with migraines.
Prescriptions and medical intervention can help some patients fight and prevent migraines. More people are turning to natural alternatives every year. You can explore different options to see what works for you. Changes in diet, exercise, and other lifestyle habits can reduce the frequency of migraines or even eliminate them for some. If you want to explore natural alternatives to treat and prevent migraines and more, work with professionals in Pelham today. Just visit our website and see how we can help you.