Is It Okay to See a Chiro Doctor in Pelham during Pregnancy?
When it comes to pregnancy, it seems there’s an ongoing debate about everything. You don’t want to take medications that might cause interactions or birth defects. You should avoid certain foods including sushi. Some say it’s because of a risk of mercury poisoning. Others associate it with the risk of fish that isn’t fresh enough. Massages, chiro treatments, and other things in Pelham that would place pressure on the stomach can all be just as questionable. Depending on who you talk to, some might even question the merits of chiropractics.
Like anything else, the benefits of chiropractic therapy should always be measured. Is it going to cure disease? Probably not. Can it help you fight back and neck pain? When done the right way, absolutely. If there’s one thing you can be sure about, the extra weight associated with pregnancy puts a greater strain on the back and neck. According to some research, regular chiropractic therapy could reduce this strain. This leads to an easier pregnancy and delivery.
Chiropractic care is an essential part of a healthy body for people of all ages. It can be beneficial for everyone from infants to senior citizens. Chiropractors can make adjustments for comfort as needed, but there’s no inherent danger to the baby. Moms to be can address pain and soreness making life in general more pleasant. It’s not at all unusual for pregnant women to seek out chiropractors who have experience with pregnancy to be on the safe side.
Tips To Get the Most Out of Chiro Therapy in Pelham
For anyone, chiropractic adjustments can keep your body healthy and balanced. With the extra pressure on the knees, back, neck, and other joints, things can more easily go wrong during pregnancy. Pain, numbness, and trouble walking are common. When you have regular appointments scheduled, you can keep everything aligned. This makes it easier to get around. Barring complications, pregnant women are actively encouraged to be active during pregnancy. If you ran ten miles a day before you got pregnant, you could keep up that pace.
Of course, you might want to make some adjustments as the belly grows. Trainers can help women navigate this process. Even something as simple as walking or swimming can keep the blood flowing while keeping unnecessary extra weight off. Regular appointments with a chiropractor can help women avoid the pain that would get in the way. If you were inactive before pregnancy, always make sure to talk to your doctor about any changes in your routine.
Pregnancy throws the distribution of the body off. So always make sure to avoid wheels and stick to comfortable flats with plenty of support. Also, pay more attention to proper lifting techniques with children, boxes, or anything else. Bending your knees and lifting from the legs becomes even more important. Even early in your pregnancy, it’s important to know when to ask someone to lift things for you.
If you can while at work, try using standing desks or take regular opportunities to walk around and stretch your legs. This can help even outside of pregnancy to keep the blood flowing for healthy muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
Find Affordable Options with a Chiro Doctor in Pelham
When pregnant, you should always put yourself and your health first. This means regular check ups with your doctor and more. You get ultrasounds and make sure everything is going smoothly. Many pregnant women avoid prescriptions they would’ve used in a second before and follow a healthier diet. Why wouldn’t you take the extra step and schedule regular appointments with a chiropractor?
Many women worry first about the cost. After the first consultation, some appointments can be completed in less than an hour. Especially if you see your chiropractor on a regular basis, each appointment is shorter and more impactful. Insurance companies often cover a certain number of treatments each month. So make sure to check and see what your copays would be and which chiropractors they’ll pay for. You can also call chiropractors to check on the regular pricing for each appointment.
If you need a chiro doctor in Pelham, McKenna Family Chiropractic can help. We have decades of experience helping patients of all types. We treat patients young and old. We also offer treatment options for pregnant women and people with mild or severe issues. To schedule your appointment and explore different options, click here.
Starting your day off with a quick and easy series of stretches to prevent back injuries is an excellent habit to develop. Almost everyone has or will experience a back injury or back pain at some point in their lives. Young or old, male or female, active or inactive, we can all benefit from stretching to improve our flexibility and strengthen our back muscles to prevent injury and pain.
Doing Back Stretches Safely
Before beginning any type of exercise or stretching routine it’s always recommended to talk with your healthcare provider. If you have back pain or spinal injuries, it’s especially important to speak with your Chiropractor to ensure a safe and effective plan is in place.
Tips to stretch safely:
- Warm-up – Before stretching warm up your muscles for 5 to 10 minutes. Get up, make that coffee, hop in the shower, or if you are really feeling adventurous take a spin on that stationary bike.
- Go slowly – Stretching should always be a smooth movement. Not quick or jerky. Go slowly so you are aware of how your body feels.
- Stop before there is pain – Stretching should feel good, nothing more than a little bit of tension on your muscles. If you experience pain you are over-extending your muscles.
- Enjoy and relax – Ease into your stretches, hold for about 15-30 seconds and keep your muscles relaxed.
Here are a few recommended stretches to prevent back injuries and back pain.
1. Stand upright with your feet flat on the floor.
2. Raise your right heel towards your right buttock.
3. Using your right hand reach behind you and grasp your right shin, pulling upward toward your right buttock. (You can use your left hand on a wall or piece of furniture for support if needed.)
4. Hold for 15-30 seconds.
5. Repeat for your left side.
6. Complete this stretch 3x, alternating the sides of your body.
Knee to Chest Stretch
1. Lay on your back, on the floor.
2. Raise your right leg up and bring your knee towards your chest.
3. Use your right hand to grasp your right shin and pull your knee toward your chest.
4. Hold for 15-30 seconds.
5. Repeat for your left leg.
6. Perform this stretch 3x, alternating sides of your body.
7. Complete this stretch by raising both knees to your chest, hold for 15-30 seconds. 3x.
1. Lay on your back, on the floor, with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
2. Lift your hips while tucking your pelvis beneath you, as if you are bringing your pelvis toward your navel.
3. Hold for 15-30 seconds.
4. Complete this stretch 10x.
Angry Cat Stretch
1. Kneel on all fours on the floor, with your knees at hip width, your arms fully extended, and your hands at shoulder width.
2. Bring your belly towards your spine and round your back into an arch. like and angry cat.
3. Hold for 15-30 seconds.
4. Relax and repeat 3x.
How to get the most benefits from stretching
As with most steps towards better health, consistency is key. While stretching, it’s important to listen to your body and stay within the range of motion that is comfortable for you. Moving slowly and paying attention to proper form and posture will ensure stretching becomes easier over time as your strength and flexibility increase. Stretching should be relaxing not painful.
If you are experiencing back pain for longer than a few days or have pain from an injury the sooner you book an appointment with your Chiropractor, the sooner you will feel better.
"*" indicates required fields